Sunday 31 May 2009

Day 17: Dunbeath to John O' Groats (and on to Westray)













That's it...sniff, sniff

Can you believe it - a glorious sunny morning, not a cloud in the sky, wind from the south. Why couldn't the last 2 weeks have been like this? Couple of the largest poached eggs ever on toast and we were off. With plenty of time before my ferry (1:45) the last 39 miles were a real pleasure, apart from the roadkill that we were complicit in - not a story for the kids. Almost not wanting trip to end. Almost. The last mile or two had us changing direction and showing us what it could have been like - tough going into a headwind. And then we were there, a short freewheel through the car park and photos by the signpost in the sunshine. A sense of achievement, certainly, and what else? Relief, joy, gratitude - a whole mixture really. Coffee and cake, and then the short 4 miles to Gills Bay where I'd get the ferry to Orkney and John would leave for Thurso. Both thought briefly about cycling to final our destinations, but common sense prevailed and we consulted the bus timetables. Chained our bikes up in the ferry office (I'd pick them up on my way back tomorrow) and said our manly goodbyes. Last saw John trudging back up the hill to the busstop with his 2 panniers and bar bag, as I sailed off into the (not quite) sunset. What a trip, must have got some sand in my eyes...

Two ferries and a taxi later, arrived in Westray where the pier was lined with the kids waving placards, Alison and a number of her relatives. Great to be back with my family, Sam has hardly left my side since. Do you think they missed me?

[Sam typing:] Of course we did!!


7 comments:

  1. Fantastic! So glad you made it, we were all getting a bit worried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Marco. What next? London 2 Brighton now seems a stroll in the park. See you on the 21st for a jaunt to the sea! David

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic achievement, I feel as bit emotional just reading about it. Superb effort, but now its time to start thinking of the next cycle challenge - I'm thinking France, Sunshine, Red Wine, Cheese, .....
    Well done Marco, the Fat Dads are proud of you although we are not sure you are going to qualify as fat anymore given whats happened over the last couple of weeks.
    Looking forward to a beer and a chat to hear all the stories
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. What, I thought you were doing the return trip?

    To be fair, a quality cycle, one of which I can only dream of.

    I glad you made it there safely.

    Congratulations
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. John writes ...

    What a fantastic trip with one of my best mates. It was hard to leave him in Glasgow but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and it was fantastic when he caught me up in Evanton. Admittedly I did slow down and take it easy .....

    So the end of a great journey and one unlikely to be repeated but for anyone else contemplating it here's a top tip ... do it with someone who is 6' 4" ... great to hide behind when heading into the wind and when walking into a crowded pub when dressed head to toe in lycra.

    Thanks Marco for the company and letting me accompany you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few select photos of the trip. Technology prevents me from getting these in the right order so they are back to front.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38986799@N04/

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marco,

    I'm assuming you gave that original tower block you stayed in at Strathclyde a miss?

    I am absolutely delighted you made it after the weather and illness. I could picture that ride from Killin around Loch Tay, one of my favorite spots in Scotland. Must also have been quite something to see the family waiting for you at the docks.

    Well done mate, am truly inspired by you doing that. Makes the odd marathon I do now and again feel like a stroll in the park.

    Enjoy time relaxing and getting over it.

    Congratulations,

    Ads

    P.S. Do you get bum callouses? Have to ask!

    ReplyDelete